Colorado is notoriously dry, and when winter hits it only gets worse! Dryness can damage your skin and cause serious discomfort, but it also aggravates aging. To avoid looking older than you need to, Dr. Todd Becker recommends taking preventative steps to keep your skin moisturized and lovely all winter long.
1. Hot baths and showers can make things worse. To avoid aggravating dry skin try:
- Closing the bathroom door to trap the steam
- Limit showers or baths to 5 to 10 minutes when possible
- Try to only use warm water, not hot water
- Use gentle, fragrance-free cleanser, such as Rinnova’s Gentle Hydrating Cleanser.
- Instead of rubbing yourself dry, make sure to gently blot your skin with a towel
2. Apply moisturizer immediately after every wash. Lotions work by both trapping existing moisture in your skin and adding essential oils to keep your skin balanced and bright. To get the full benefit of your moisturizers, you should apply a moisturizer within few minutes of:
- Drying off after a shower or bath
- Washing your face or hands
3. Know your ingredients. Look for a cream or ointment that contains an oil such as olive oil or jojoba oil. Shea butter also works well. Other ingredients that help to soothe dry skin include lactic acid, urea, hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, glycerin, lanolin, mineral oil, and petrolatum. Rinnova offers a variety of products containing these various ingredients, if you need a place to start.
4. Wear lip balm. Choose a lip balm that feels good on your lips. Some healing lip balms can irritate your lips. If your lips sting or tingle after you apply the lip balm, switch to one that does not cause this reaction. Lip balms with sunscreen, such as EltaMD’s UV Lip Balm, are especially helpful in Colorado, as snow reflects sunlight and increases risk of UV damage.
5. Use gentle skin care products. Some skin care products are too harsh for dry, sensitive skin. When your skin is dry or chapped, avoid using:
- Deodorant soaps
- Skin care products that contain alcohol, fragrance, or alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA)
- Reduce use of any retinoid creams to every other day, or twice a week
6. Wear gloves. Our hands are often the first place we notice dry skin. You can reduce dry, raw skin by wearing gloves. Be sure to put gloves on before you:
- Go outdoors in winter
- Perform tasks that require you to get your hands wet
- Get chemicals, greases, and other substances on your hands
7. Choose non-irritating clothes and laundry detergent. When our skin is dry and raw even clothes and laundry detergent can be irritating. To avoid this:
- Wear cotton or silk under your clothing made of wool or another material that feels rough
- Use laundry detergent labeled “hypoallergenic”
8. Stay warm, but be careful about cozying up to a fireplace or space heater. Sitting in front of an open flame or other heat source can dry your skin, and sometimes even cause a reaction similar to eczema. When the yule log is blazing, make sure to stay at least three feet away from the source of heat.
9. Add moisture to the air. Humidifiers are a great way to add moisture to the dry air of Colorado. Be sure to keep the filters clean, and replace the water regularly.
If you want personalized advice to keeping your skin healthy and happy in the Colorado air, make an appointment! We offer free consultations to anyone looking to make their dream skin a reality. Contact us by calling 303-444-0664 or emailing email@example.com.
Winter is finally upon us, and in Colorado that means trekking up into the mountains for skiing, snowboarding, and winter fun! Dr. Todd Becker, Rinnova’s own Harvard-trained dermatologist, has some tips for keeping your skin glowing during the fun winter months.
1. Apply Sunscreen, always!
A common misconception is that you don’t need sunscreen on cloudy days, but winter is one of the most crucial times to stay protected. Damaging UV rays can bounce off snow, causing lasting damage to unprotected skin.
2. Moisturize regularly.
Whether you’re out in the wind skiing, or at home by a fire, the winter air can dry your skin out. Make sure to moisturize twice a day, and consider switching your moisturizer and cleanser to more hydrating versions.
3. Exfoliate too!
While you should always moisturize, make sure to scrub off dead skin too! Encouraging cell turn over will keep your skin bright throughout the winter. Glycolic peels, Microdermabrasion, and manual scrubs are all good options.
We hope your skin stays bright and happy throughout this holiday season! If you ever need ideas or support on keeping your skin healthy all year round, come visit at a free consultation.
With Summer is winding down, it’s time to prepare for our Fall looks! Sure, we’ll miss the long days and warm weather, but we’re excited for sweaters, apple cider, and for a fall color palette. We have been playing with warm copper tones to bring fall spices into our lives!
Bronze, gold and copper are timeless shades that all intensify brown eyes, but they can also bring out the color in green and blue eyes. A beautifully arched brow adds structure, so definitely check out our eyebrow microblading to bring this look together!
We are introducing Cream Stay Shadow Stick, which are smudge-proof and long lasting. These cream shadows can be worn on their own, or you can layer powder eye shadow on top to create deep dimension.
Get the Look
- Fill and shape brows with Precise Micro Browliner in dark brown. (To skip this step, schedule an eyebrow microblading appointment!)
- Apply Cream Stay Shadow Stick in keepsake directly to the lid.
- Blend Eye Shadow in coy through the crease using the Eye Blender Brush.
- Use the bronze shade from Eye Shadow Trio in copper sheen to deepen the outer corner with the Crease Brush.
- Apply the gold shade from Eye Shadow Trio in copper sheen to the lid.
- Highlight the brow bone and inner corner with the highlight shade from Eye Shadow Trio in copper sheen.
- Line the lower lashline with Cream Stay Shadow Stick in metro.
- Blend the bronze shade from Eye Shadow Trio in copper sheen along the lower lashline with the Crease Brush.
- Coat lashes with Lash Lengthening Mascara in black.
These products are available at Rinnova, so feel free to contact us to order, or come by during business hours!
Published Jan 15, 2016
As we get into the swing of the New Year, it is natural to want to look your very best. We don’t always realize how important beautiful skin is in making a great first impression, but healthy clear skin helps us look and feel at our very best. For Boulder residents, cosmetic dermatology is a great way to put your freshest face forward, but there are great ways to get your skin in shape at home, too.